Friday 9 May 2014

Surviving the Editing process

I am grateful for Pete's (+ the rest of the gang at commonword) support and advice, but there is part of me that is not quiet sure how to handle this long and painful process of editing which I should not be a stranger to. My PhD thesis has been severely "hammered into shape" by my supervisors; I have also edited the work of others. I guess there is more of "me" in my creative writing and that's why it's more painful. Ouch! The hammering.

I must learn to distant myself from my writing; I must give it room to breath. It is probably like letting your child grow up and go to school and be who they  meant to be. Yes, I must learn, I must learn, I must; but what about the betrayal of the inspiration that underlined the writing!

© All rights reserved

No comments: